August 27, 2007

0 to 18

Last Monday evening, we went from no kids to an eighteen year-old, when our nephew moved in to go to start his college career at the nearby Penn State branch campus. We had been planning on it for a few months, but he called on Monday at 2:45pm to tell us he was leaving in fifteen minutes to bring his stuff and move in. He lives an hour away, and we thought he was coming on Thursday. Ah, teenagers.

His major is Computer Science. Coincidentally, someone asked me recently if I would encourage my kids to be interested in computers. While I probably haven’t had much influence on my nephew’s interests, I have to say that I’m looking forward to talking to him about his classes, and helping out if he needs.

Tonight he cooked dinner for us: Princess Chicken, from his favorite “Everything Chinese” cookbook. It was a little weird to sit back and let someone who is not me or Lor cook dinner, but we managed, and the chicken turned out to be quite delicious. Maybe we can convince him to cook more often …

Like most things, I’m sure it will have its ups and downs, and I’m sure it will be an adventure for all of us. He’s a great kid, though, so Lor and I agree that the ups are going to be much more frequent than the downs.

No comments: