March 7, 2008

Perforation

Is it just me, or does perforated cardboard never seem to do what it’s supposed to? I always end up either mostly shredding the parts that aren’t perforated as the tear shoots off in some random direction, or tearing the perforation so slowly and carefully that it may as well not even be there in the first place.

At work, we have a Keurig single cup coffee maker. We get our coffee singles from Green Mountain Coffee (Keurig seems to be heavily marketed through Green Mountain, are they subsidiaries?). I’ll admit that although I like drip-brewed coffee better, the coffee singles are actually pretty good.

Anyway, the coffee singles come in boxes that are perforated on one corner, kind of like the 12 packs of soda that are meant for your fridge. They also have this nice cutout for your thumb or finger on one edge of the perforation. Apparently its purpose is to lure you into thinking that you can just insert your thumb or finger, pull, grab a single and brew. It never fails that I partially destroy these boxes while trying to use the obvious approach.

The perforations on those damn 12 packs never seem to work out either.

I don’t get it. Perforations really seem like they should work. If I had more free time, I’d invent a better way, but since I don’t, I guess I’ll just complain-blog about it.

No comments: